Seeking To Hire
Please send us information on the type of position you are seeking to fill here.
The IFT Career Center is also available to you. You can post your resume, search for open positions, and use the Career Learning Center to see how to beef up your resume and network for success. Best of all, it’s FREE to use. Click here to access the IFT Career Center.
R&D Formulation Scientist
(Nellson Salt Lake City - Powder Division)
August 29, 2018
Purpose of Job:
Provides effective and functional technical leadership for customized formulations, product innovations, and product optimization projects. Leads product and process development from ideation/pre-formulation through commercialization. Leverages technical insights and product development skills to develop and commercialize new products for current and potential customers. Utilizes standard best practices and procedures in conjunction with hands on formulating, scale up and commercialization support. Close partnership with sales, customers, and other cross-functional disciplines to accomplish company and personal goals.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Leverages technical insights and product development skills to develop and commercialize new products for current and potential customers.
- Provide leadership to ideate and develop commercializable innovative products and platforms.
- Provide leadership to champion new innovative ideas and transform into presentable and commercializable concepts and prototypes.
- Provide product and process expertise to assigned accounts.
- Ability to clearly present and articulate product ideas and innovations to internal and external customers.
- Ability to identify, capture and commercialize new opportunities using customer/marketing insights and existing/new technologies.
- Ability to identify and qualify new equipment and/or processes for new product commercialization.
- Ability to run and monitor bench-top and manufacturing scale-up batches. Provides technical and scientific input, support and assistance to other technical disciplines.
- Prepares shelf life, customer, and consumer samples. Prepares and reviews shelf life protocols. Monitors, evaluates and summarizes the results of shelf life testing.
- Partners with Corporate and Local Packaging to leverage vendor and network contacts to identify and recommend preferred packaging options for new product opportunities in the Nellson Anaheim facility.
- Supports R&D team through the identification and sourcing of new, novel ingredients.
- Gain full command of internal formulation system for development and commercialization.
- Develop a network of outside contacts such as customers, vendors, consultants and educators.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Requires a four year college or university degree or its equivalent in Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or other relevant science degree.
Requires a minimum of four years of industry formulation development experience, preferably in nutritional dry blends or nutritional supplements.
- Familiarity with sports nutrition and nutraceutical product development.
- Experienced working with flavor systems and sensory evaluation techniques.
- Strong formulation skills. Firm understanding of ingredient functionality and nutrition.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience conducting plant trials/process validation testing.
- Firm understanding of ingredient functionality and nutrition.
- Familiarity of product shelf life testing techniques and procedures a plus.
- A sound foundation in Food Science and/or Chemistry.
Occasional work in manufacturing to review pilot trials, plant validations, and process improvements is required.
The incumbent must be able to perform this job safely in accordance with standard operating procedures and good manufacturing practices.
Looking for a new opportunity?
A Food Science Research Associate-Flavors position is open at Givaudan.
Click here for position details.
Interested individuals may contact: